Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Missed Opportunity for Voice Biometrics to Secure Smartphones!?

Last week, there was an item on EnterpriseMobileToday titled “Smartphones to Get Biometric Identity Platform for Mobile Security". For a brief moment, I was excited about the prospect of voice biometrics playing a major role in this rapidly expanding market. Unfortunately, my hopes were dashed as soon as I started reading the article and learned that the biometric the title referred to was "fingerprint recognition".

Now I have nothing against fingers; I have ten of them myself. It’s just that voice biometrics seems like such a natural choice for a device that has a microphone and speaker. As a matter of fact, in March I
blogged about the feasibility of securing smartphones with voice biometrics. This is a golden opportunity and I hope the voice biometrics industry is able to deliver a robust solution before it’s too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment